Green Action Meeting
20th October 2011, 6pm-7:30pm The Packhorse Pub
Present: Celia, Guilia, Pascal, Rita, Maia, Mary, Kim, Kim, Neil, Rosy, Nikki, Nabil and Sarah
1. Additions to the Co-op
2. Co-op order and delivery
3. Green Action membership
6. Radical Roots
7. Any other business
1. Additions to the Co-op
Last meeting a variety of useful additions to the co-op were suggested. We now have:
• Message book
⁃ Found in the second drawer down with all the other Notebooks/orders/folders etc
⁃ This message book for volunteers works best when it is checked at the beginning of every shift.
⁃ Enter in date, time and name. If a previous comment has been responded to, signify this in the message book.
Further suggestions include:
• Better dispensers for the liquids. Action: Neil to look into this.
2. Order and Delivery
1. what to do when the delivery arrives very late?
• Acknowledgement that this is just something that happens. It’s up to us to make sure we can deal with it.
Action to be taken?
• Ensure that the Friday morning shift are clued up on how to process the delivery. Action: Guilia to go in the following morning, check that this is all cool.
2. Really important to have at least one member of the food hub at the meeting (also acknowledged the only reason no one was there at the start because they were very kindly sorting out the late delivery!)
3. With the increase in demand, a large increase on the order is required!
• high demand for: dried apricots, chocolate soya milk, etc. Action: when people repeatedly ask for something, use a tally system on the shopping list to reflect demand
4. Jars aren’t being refilled. What to do with empty jars that need cleaning?
• Take them to "the lounge" — here there are large kitchen sinks. Someone needs to bring in a bottle for washing up liquid – bottle is now with other cleaning equipment under cash machine.
5. Placing personal orders: a reminder to food hub, please signify that they have been ordered and draw a line under it.
At this point there was recognition that the Green Action meeting was being dominated by a discussion of Co-Op stuff. As changes in the Co-Op are happening very rapidly everyone agreed it might be good to have a coop volunteers meeting in the co-op itself. However, no date/time has yet been set.
6. Storage space for the co-op – do we want storage space lock ups near the common room?
• decision that: wouldn’t be suitable for food.
• Would be suitable for all the other stuff to allow more space for food in the co-op.
• Take the Space! Action: Guilia
7. Discussion point: change all pricing to 100g? Decision: yes. However, to be raised next meeting (awareness that there is an objection from members not present at the meeting)
We are a members co-op that works as a cooperative, encourages active involvement, and is so, SO much more than a shop. Since the movement of the co-op, many more people have been using it. This means that when losses are made, they can be much greater. (increase in order: out and income all much higher). Therefore it is all the more important to make sure people pay the membership fee before using the Co-Op. Plus, resultant funds help reduce loss and can be used to bolster the campaigning branch of Green Action
• Ensure everyone using the Co-op is a member
• Encourage members, they are then part of a cooperative and get to have a say in how its run
• Make the point that we sell at cost price, so need to minimise losses
• they allow us easily to see who’s a member
• they make people feel that the two pounds results in something tangible, proof
• it would be easy to make the transition starting now
What are the possibilities?
• make a design and then print (cost incurred>?)
• use old business cards (free) and make a stamp (potentially minimal) (plus old business cards are good hard paper)
• Action: Maia to find out about cost breakdown, options, and raise for final decision at the next meeting.
Rita presented feedback from the allotment meeting.
Lots of exciting new ideas to get more allotment involvement. Most important element: GET INVOLVED! Sundays, 12-2pm! It’s well exciting.
• Suggestions for an allotment week, everybody bringacake and get stuck in
• skipping for wood
• more allotment socials
• permaculture workshops
• individual plots
• Check the signs in the Co-Op
• Next workshop: Wednesday 1730 till 19h in Meeting Room 3, make your own toiletries!
• When is the bread making workshop…? ambiguity. What was the decision? When where, who? understanding that it was Gauthier – Guilia to contact him.
6. Radical Roots. Go check it out. radicalroots.org.uk. Price was still unclear but described as "cheap". If you want to go, get in touch with Guilia or Tim asap: as in, before next meeting.