Green Action Minutes 8/3/12
Present: Sarah, Freya, Alice, Kristian, Chris
- Lippy ‘no gloss’ magazine
- Jo, the secretary from Lippy, came along to see if we wanted to stock their new magazine in the co-op. Her reasons were that their values mirror many of ours. The magazine is designed as an alternative to Leeds Student newspaper and Cosmo on Campus and is produced independently. It would retail at £3. Issues – do we have space to stock it? How in line with our ethos is it?
- Outcome: not enough people present at meeting to make a decision, Jo will come along again to our next meeting or I will bring along a copy of their last issue for more people to make a decision.
- For more information see: http://www.lippymag.co.uk/
- Possible campaign? ‘Part-time Carnivore’
- Put forward by Freya as a campaign we could potentially support. The idea is to encourage people to gradually eat less meat and consider the ethical/environmental issues with meat production in a transitional way (e.g. by having ‘meat free Mondays’). This links in with a recent proposal to the ‘Better Union Forum’ for a meat free day in the union. Maybe run some vegan cooking workshops/zines with VeggieSoc as a fun way to engage people?
- Outcome: again, not enough people to properly decide on this! Will bring up again at next meeting.
- For more information see: http://www.parttimecarnivore.org/ and http://parttimecarnivore.wordpress.com/
- Summer Trip?
- Idea of having a Green Action trip to the next Radical Routes gathering in Scotland at end of May (after exams!). We could camp for a few days surrounding the gathering, go exploring, find some work, go WWOOFING etc
- Outcome: not much information about the gathering at the moment, just bringing up to see if there is much interest
- Climate Week – GREEN ACTION HAVE A STALL PLEASE VOLUNTEER!
- It’s Climate Week next week (starting 12th March)! Freya has booked a stall for Green Action to promote buying local though can’t run it all by herself! If you can come along for an hour or so please do. Freya will be sending out a doodle to organise who’s doing what shifts and on what day.
- Yep, it’s that time of year again! We need to sort out our AGM asap. I’m thinking the first week back after the Easter break, again will be sending out a doodle to decide the day though I’m guessing Thursday will be best as usual? PLEASE FILL IN THIS DOODLE ASAP – apparently we have to give a month’s notice for the AGM date