GA Minutes 24/10/2012

Green Action Meeting 24/10/2012

Feedback from Apple Day: It went very well! Would be great for more people to check it out next year as it’s a great event. We owe Sky money for muffins.

Sheffield Uni are interested in a co-op skill-share day. We’re up for hosting a workshop day, we hosted one the other year when Glasgow wanted to set up; it was a really nice day. Definitely energy for doing another, and enlisting help from members from previous years to help. Action Point:  wait for Sheffield to contact us.

Veg Boxes: Please be aware of people taking the incorrect box! Ask for their name and check they’ve taken the right box (some people request certain things i.e. no potatoes, or European).

Books going missing: sometimes the book you need is not in the co-op (e.g. veg box or personal order). If it’s missing, either ask the enquiring member to return later, or write it on a piece of paper and ideally put the paper in the MESSAGES book, or (if the messages book is missing….) SELLOTAPED somewhere REALLY OBVIOUS.

Next Meeting – Let’s watch a film after the meeting! We’ll screen Just Do It after the next meeting. AP: someone (Alice?) make a DOOOODLE for the next meeting.

Permanent Meeting – DOOOOODLE for permanent meeting time and location.

Skipping Workshop: Going to have two different sorts of workshops, one this term – an introduction to skipping, talking through etiquette, security, etc. going to one skip (DFS?)

Then next term, potentially READY, STEADY, SKIP! A more elaborate event involving skipping for lots of food, then gathering to cook it together! AP: Doodle for Skipping intro this term (Joey?)

Campaigns: continuing thinking about visual campaigns on awareness raising of environmental n ethical impact of diet….

Joining forces with People & Planet, Oxfam Grow, Vegetarian Society to get a bi-monthly (?) get together with films and discussions, alongside a campaign campaign?

AP: Alice and Hannah to talk with P&P to discuss first meeting, someone (Val?) email Oxfam and Veggies with details?

Give It A Go: proposal submitted by Rowan, selecting Food Inc. as our film, if anyone objects, or has a better idea, we need to change it by 16th November.

We’ve got an exciting new blackboard!

BYOM – Bring Your Own Mug ?

Discussion on whether we can facilitate tea and coffee drinking at the co-op; selling tea bags n coffee per cup, inviting people to bring their own mug. – decided it would be too hectic/dangerous to have a kettle in the co-op, or even just outside it, but that we could sell individual tea bags, and we want to ask the Union to provide kettles/boiling water in the lounge area, next to the microwave.

Hannah has spoken to Charlie, there is already a boiling water tap above the sink, if we want to get it more regularly filled up, we should contact the union using the ‘Your Comments’ section on the first page of the union website

AP: EVERYONE contact the Union through the form and put out tea bags on their shift, marked with price per bag, make a sign encouraging people to bring their own mug.

MONEY:

You can cash induct yourself by going to the LUU site and clicking on clubs and societies and then cash inductions.

When inducting new people to the co-op, encourage them to do a cash induction, and remind them that we can’t have too much money in the till – when it starts building up, someone needs to cash it in at the cash office

AP: Saul to do general Green Action Accounts Induction including how to do accounts with Goosemoor and Lembas

How much money do we have? – Anyone can do this by emailing the Cash office or by going to the Cash Office upstairs in the Union

AP: Saul to check GA bank accounts – how much do we have?

Allotment: 1-4pm TODAY Leafy fun

Need money for: Flasks, Seeds,

Agreed yes for money, seeds will be organic, unless it’s more than 2.5 times the price of non-organic, and will be as local as poss, all things considered.

Money for tea towels/ gloves? For messy things in the coop

Fine – if people have spare tea towels at home, bring ‘em in!

Stale cake/pasties – If you know the food’s been there for a while, check whether it’s fit for consumption, if it’s stale, then just ask people to give donations, instead of asking for full price. Need to be aware if we’re giving away too much – should we cut down on amount of cake and pasties we order?

AP: EVERYONE be aware of how much we’re giving away, to potentially change our order

Human Rights Stall – It’s Human Rights Week 26th November, Green Action have a stall on the Environmental Rights day, Thursday 29th November. We’ll discuss what we’ll have on the stall (outside in marquee on grass) at the next meeting,

AP: EVERYONE think of good ideas to have on the stall

COMMUNICATION?

Big discussion started over how we communicate in the time between meetings. Arguments for and against Facebook – didn’t have enough time to fully go through it all. For the moment, try using what we’ve got more efficiently, potentially try using Crabgrass (activist forum), need to start using the website properly again

AP: Hannah/Luky/Sky/Nikolai to discuss editing the website etc.

I had another idea for communications – we have 3 email lists; Green Action, Food Co-op, and Allotment. We’re currently only using one. Email lists can be a great way to have discussions, away from the prying eyes and advertising of Facebook. The Green Action list has quite a lot of traffic on it at the moment, we could reduce this by moving all discussion based emails to the Food Coop list. Saving Green Action for Announcements. This way, when new people sign up to the list, they’re not bombarded with emails.

If you think this could work, then sign yourself up to the food coop list by going here

https://lists.riseup.net/www/subscribe/foodcoop

and let’s get discussing!!!

We’ll review these different methods next meeting.

Events;



FRIDAY 26
th OCTOBER:

STAR Bike Project GIAG:

Come along to the Velo Campus 3pm – 5pm to learn how to fix up a bike.

STAR Bike Project fixes bikes and provides them to Asylum Seekers



CRITICAL MASS

Reclaim the Streets – ON BIKE!

We are not blocking traffic – We ARE traffic!

Meet 5.30pm Millenium Square to set off on a ride around town with fellow cyclists,

Hallowe’en themed!

SATURDAY 27th OCTOBER

CRISIS OPPORTUNITY

A great event hosted by TIDAL Leeds, looking at the development of the environmental activist movement over the years, analysing where we are now, deciding where to go next! Loads of great discussions and workshops throughout the day.

Unfortunately it’s now too late to book the lunch, so bring your own please!

it'll be at the Swarthmore Centre

2-7 Woodhouse Square

LS3 1AD

Leave a Reply