Radical Routes Gathering (Trip to brighton!)

14th -16th November 

We are associate members of the Radical Routes network of social change co-ops. This is an example of nationwide co-operative mutual aid, a glimpse of how consensus decision making could shape a better future! 

Four times a year, the member and associate member co-ops get together at “gatherings”. These weekend events have a social function, but are also the places at which all important decisions are taken. They are open meetings and anyone is welcome to attend.

This gathering is being hosted at the Cowley Club (http://www.cowleyclub.org.uk/?About) a radical social centre in Brighton there is free accomodation in a local stiener school and there will be some accustic entertainment, stuff happening at the Cowely Club and we could explore the city. They have delicious vegan catering which usually costs £15 for the weekend. 

Trains look to be quite expensive, a return is about £85 without a rail card. £32 return on National express coach. There are also several other co-ops in Leeds going so car share might be possible and cheaper. If you are interested lets start communication 

luke_tilley@hotmail.co.uk, 07542437755  

 

 

http://www.radicalroutes.org.uk/aims-and-principles.html

 

General Green Action Meeting

General Green Action meeting this Wednesday 29th October to go over what we’ve achieved and set new targets. Baines Wing SR 2.15

  • Go through previous meetings action points
  • Working groups (foodhub, allotments & campaigning) report on progress
  • Controversial decisions discussed and consensus tried for
  • Account report 
  • Web report
  • Date set next general meeting
  • Discuss next month’s post-meeting social eg. Skillshare, Film viewing, Understanding Cooperatives  
  • Assign facilitator and minute taker for next meeting
  • Discuss other socials / events that we want to organise in the next month eg. Seeds For Change consensus workshop, bike rides, trips
  • Is grassroots something we want to do at some point this year?

If you want something included or can’t find us, my number is 07714220196

Annmarie

Green Action Gets Organised

Facilitator: Annmarie     Minutes taker: Luke Tilley

Present: Andy, Suzie, Izzy, Steph, Asa, Jack, Joseph, Hanna Biggs, Hannah Meudt Bissera, Zoe, Bianca, Nirvan, Val, Georgie, Jenny  … sorry if I missed anyone

I have hopefully made the minutes bellow interesting and informative it was quite a difficult & exciting meeting to minute take for. I have had to capture the essence of some things we talked about and expand on details if you have any queeres or corrections please note them for the next meeting. (29th October)

 

Action Points:

 

Working Groups: Up to date contact lists at the store and on the website

Store volunteers: Star Rota if you can induct someone new on your shift

Asa: Book room for next general meeting on the 29th October

Luke: Email round details of Radical Routes Gathering/ trip

Luke: Remove Alice from email moderation

Luke: Make email/web moderator handbook.

Alice :  Email details for Students for co-operation conference/trip

??? : Chat Steph about Social co-ordinator role

??? : Put up display in store for next social proposals

??? : Book Seeds for change consensus training

 

20 years of Green Action

 

This is an exciting year for green action! We are a long standing independent co-operative society with community and environmentalism at its heart.  There are lots of members engaged and excited about the possibilities It is a special year for the co-op as it is its 20th birthday in 2015! This meeting was held to help us effectively organise with such a diverse and large membership.

 

The Problem

 

 We run a successful  wholefood business, manage 2 allotment plots and want to engage with campaigning/direct action. We also want to have spare energy for friendships, celebration and outreach. This is a lot of great stuff that we want to achieve! Too much for any one person to be involved in everything.

 

The current structure of weekly general GA meetings is not working; the majority of the meeting is around important day-to-day decisions that need to be made for the food store. These are not of particular importance to our members interested in the allotments and campaigning and excludes 2 thirds of our membership.

 

The Solution

 

Coming together and making decisions is a big part of our society and many of us look forwards to the buzz of productive consensus. We all feel more socials/celebrations are also really important. We will come together as a whole group monthly and then do something social.  We will split into 3 working groups – Allotment, Food hub and Campaigning, with independent decision-making meetings throughout the month.

 

The General  Meeting

 

  • Working groups to report on activities
  • Controversial decisions discussed and  consensus tried for.
  • Account report 
  • Web report
  • Discuss social for after next meeting
  • Date set next general meeting
  • Assign facilitator and minute taker.
  • Socialise

Social Coordinator Role  

 

Someone to make sure the monthly meeting & social happens. They are not responsible for all the organization but responsible for making sure everything is done by someone.

 

  • Book room for general meeting
  • Make sure someone is organising the social
  • Communicate with group through emails, website, in-person and at the store about upcoming meeting/social.
  •  Remind facilitator and minuet taker for meeting, check agenda is out in advance and minuets are sent round.  

 

 

 

The first working group Meeting

 

 

We split into the 3 working groups and started discussing the roles that need filling and problems that need solving. It felt really productive!

 

 

 

Food Hub Meeting Minutes

 

Food Hub Weekly Meeting Poll

Here’s the doodle poll for deciding the weekly food hub meeting. I’m sorry that there’s an excessive amount of choices!

 

http://doodle.com/qmaecad4p23ugdhm

 

Roles/Responsibilities;

 

Food Cafe  – Asa, Georgie, Zoe, Hannah, Bianca, Ann-marie, Hannah, Andy, Joseph
Goosemoor orders – Asa
Lembas orders – Joel, Bissera
Cake – Bissera
Bread – Jenny
Pricing – Ann-marie
General up keep/maintenance – Asa
Invoices/Finance – Andrea
Inductions – Bissera

 

Email Addresses;

Jenny – Jennyscattergood92@gmail.com
Bissera – bissera.ivanova@gmail.com
Bianca – biancaconstantia@hotmail.com
Hannah Meudt – h.meudt@hotmail.de
Ann-marie – annmarie.clay@hotmail.co.uk
Andy – andrew.byrne@btinternet.com
Hannah Biggs – biggs.hannah@gmail.com
Asa – asadoktor1993@gmail.com
Zoe – zfitzgibbon@hotmail.co.uk
Georgie – georgiexmay@hotmail.co.uk
Joseph – josephbrueckner@googlemail.com

Extra Role – promoting meetings/socials – Steph (I had her email but I’ve managed to lose it!)

 

 

Actions;

  • Create an induction pack to email to new email subscribers, so if they volunteer in the shop they have a point of reference.
  • Help Ann-marie with pricing
  • Bissera will set up a thread for the food cafe group
  • Ask Richard to speak to Georgie about the website
  • Georgie will set up a food cafe blog
  • Jenny will communicate with old food group to clarify the new roles

 

 

 

Allotment Group Minutes

 

Action Points:

 

Luke: Email moderation session with Jack and Val,

Luke: Computerise map of the allotments, share on website. 

Jack: Email moderation

Val: Buy extra Tupperware 

Luke: Bring plot diary to allotments 

Session facilitators: communicate with Jack about sessions

 

Allotment working group

 

An allotment working group has been formed to reduce the responsibility of the project from the allotment coordinators (1-2 people). This is a larger group of people who are up for facilitating the sessions, Communication and publicity have been split into individual roles. This will hopefully increase the consistency and productivity of the sessions by spreading out the tasks involved with any session.

 

Working Group (to be updated as group becomes settled)

 

Jack, – Communication Coordinator (facilitator)

Katey – Co communication facilitator?

Erika – publicity coordinator

Val – session facilitator

Luke – session facilitator

Carl –Session facilitator

Naomi – session facilitator

Alice Shipsey? – session facilitator  

Nirvan, – Comrade

 

 

2xweekly sessions, Thursdays 3-5, another day TBC possibly Sunday   

 

Roles,

 

Communication co-ordination

 

Who: Can be anyone who is up for going to the plot regularly. Only needs minimal experience but enthusiastic about project, they will learn a lot! Needs people skills, consistent and organised. (Jack)

 

Task: Publicize the weekly session on the email List, outside the co-op and encourage word of mouth. Communicating with interested people through texts and email, with info and directions. Making sure that the people who are going to the session know what they can do or there is someone there to show them. Co-coordinating refreshments and the odd social. Report back to whole group at general meeting.

 

It is not there responsibility to be at every session or to have all the knowledge required or to bring everything needed just to make sure there are people there who can do these things.

 

Session facilitators –

 

Who: The person that takes on leading the session, knows what task needs doing. Anyone who has some experience of gardening or facilitation can do this.

 

Task: Explain/ demonstrate to participants what needs doing. Makes sure refreshments happen.  Makes a note in the plot diary of who came, what was done and what needs doing next.

 

 

Publicity

 

Who: Someone interested in the success of the allotment project but prefers less muddy hands. Really important role! Needs to enjoy creative writing and be a confident computer user.  (Erika)

 

Task: Blog writing/coordinating, photo taking. Learn how to access our website, flickr and email lists The website is very easy to use get to grips with this.  Regular updates and

 

 

Campaigning Group

 

Low on numbers at this meeting but confident for more interest. Excitement for campaigning for student housing co-ops, lots of interest in this. Other ideas welcome!

 

Wednesday meetings 6pm planned

 

 – Alice Shipsey initially co-ordinating but roles will be decided and shared out at the next meeting. 

Inspiring Weekend Away to Sustainable Housing Project – Hockerton 11/10/14

It was the third trip to Hockerton this year and there will be more trips to come so look out for the chance as I thoroughly recommend it. It was a great chance to see sustainable living at work; such simple but effective design and a fun weekend where you can get away, meet people and get stuck in. Not to mention how excellent Helena and Simon Tilley were as hosts.

 

 

Saturday

On Saturday morning seven of us, mainly new members, got the train down to Newark and then cycled for an hour through the countryside to this sustainable housing project (except those of us a little bicycle shy..).

The weather was very much on our side all weekend. We got there and after tea got stuck in to picking apples in the orchard – storing the perfect ones and collecting the windfalls for processing.

In the afternoon we processed the apples: Two people washing and chopping, someone scratting, two people loading into a pillowcase and turning the manual press, someone decanting – amazing group effort. We changed over shifts between apples and shovelling horse manure, which wasn’t actually that bad!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We then spent the evening cutting down willow for firewood and feeding the leaves to the sheep which they ran across the field for.

 

We all bought a dish for dinner, so had an absolute feast and sat round the fire with hot chocolate after a satisfying day’s work.

Sunday

The morning was spent collecting more wood, making more apple juice and cider, doing a bit of bee-keeping, allotment weeding, jam making and a Sunday roast. By borrowing bikes and a tandem we all had a beautiful cycle back to the station before getting home.

Annmarie xx

 

PS. This dressing is good with everything:

Tahini Dressing from River Cottage Veg Every Day

  • 1⁄2 garlic clove, crushed with a little coarse sea salt

  • 2 tablespoons light tahini (stir the jar well first)

  • Finely grated zest and juice of 1⁄2 lemon

  • Juice of 1⁄2 orange (or just add more lemon juice to taste)

  • 1⁄2 teaspoon clear honey

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper