Category Archives: Food Coop

What’s happening at Green Action Food Coop in the basement of Leeds University Union.

Give it a go 19th February 2015

Picture1

It’s an open dinner invitation to all…

Our menu:
A selection of mains; bean patties, falafel and tzatziki, with a
Mediterranean couscous salad. Followed by our desert of date truffle bites

“Cheap, nutritious, vegan and environmentally friendly.”

Learn (and eat!) how to make our delicious meals using ingredients from our co-op. A great chance to join Green Action and meet new people.
Come join us on 19th February at 5:30pm-7:30pm in the Common Room, Leeds University Union, Basement (back of hidden cafe). This is a free event.

Come to the food co-op for more information, union basement next to Santander.

8th December Meeting Minutes

Reminders: 

  • No food order will be placed this week, and will not be until next semester (Date TBC)  
  • But, for any volunteers who are in Leeds over the Christmas break it is still possible to open up the food co-cop
  • REMINDER: Please hand out the mural leaflets to all members who come to the food coop, and encourage them to bring it back, or scan it through. We need to get designing soon 🙂 

Discussion: 

  • “Conflict resolution”/ ethics team to be put forward at next General Action Meeting (12th January TBC): Following a few unresolved issued this semester, it was suggested that a team of 1/2 people within Green Action could have a role of solving any problems. 
  • Unbalance of stock: Problems with Lembas (do we change organisation next semester…Suma?), and food order team (should attend food hub meetings regularly) 
  • Give it a Go will be organised on Loomio: Film and Food night suggested 
  • Low stock of oil: There still needs to be research around this as organic extra virgin olive oil tends to be expensive 
  • Bread order over Christmas: The union help desk have been contacted  

Action: 

  • Jenny: Christmas timetable 
  • Izzie: Cleaning timetable and send around an email about the importance of cleaning! 
  • Annmarie: Email Jenny and Bissera about Lembas 
  • Marcel: Meeting coordinator – update google doc on website 
  • Asa: Send reminder to Bissera no food order to be made this week 
  • Timetable for next semester… was this going to be done online first? Didn’t note down who’s task this was but happy to do it otherwise

– Update: Zoe made one

24 November minutes

Start: 5.40pm Annmarie, Jenny, Georgie, Christa, Marcel, (Ryan Smith – Artist)

  1. Mural design
  • not intimidating
  • bright/colourful/sunny
  • not just rabbit food
  • not just explanation of who we are – more like art
  • Have 2-4 colours
  • Considered lots of nuts spilling over
  • We all liked either the idea of a large figurative central tree with the branches becoming different things
  • Or all underground , having a network of ‘grassroots’ becoming different things or being filled with cool shapes

We all liked the roots idea, ‘grassroots’ and as shop is underground, but didn’t want it to be too literal browns and greens. ACTION – GEORGIE PRINTS BASIC OUTLINE SKETCH AND BRINGS TO GENERAL MEETING TO BE SHARED ROUND WITH PENS TO GET EVERYONES IDEAS

  1. Did the Shopping List for what’s to be ordered on Thursday together.
    • Not buying quinoa until a fairtrade supplier is found
    • Need to print info on failed Apricot crop for black folder – ACTION?
    • Pistachios were not delivered. ACTION – JENNY CALLS LEMBAS ABOUT PISTACHIOS
    • Would be easier if we had master list of basic stock – ACTION – ANNMARIE ASK MARCEL TO SENT IT AROUND
    • Joel is leaving so Jenny will do the orders with Bissera
  1. Membership Cards

ACTION – CHRISTA TO PRINT MEMBERSHIP INFO ONTO LABELS OR PAPER

  1. Goodforbellie

It is not good for the coop for entire stock to be sold.

ACTION – ANNMARIE INVITE ELLIE TO DISCUSS AN ARRANGEMENT. CAN ONLY BUY UP TO HALF OF ORDERED QUANTITY OF FOODCOOP STOCK

  1. Looked at Loomio threads

TRJFP – space has been booked for a stall on Tuesdays. ACTION – JENNY WILL ARRANGE WITH TRJFP INSURANCE FOR STALL, then we will invite people to man the stall

Snacks – Orderers just need to take the consensus into account – up to 5 snack bars, savoury pastries ordered. Will discuss more flapjacks from That Old Chestnut next time. No more crisps until  discussed at foodhub.

End: 18.40pm

18 November minutes

DISCUSSED:

-Past meetings Action points

RJFP fundraising: Pay as you feel Cafe on Campus?

-Sourcing of Xyllitol  gum/ mints

Tea Cafe: February?

Ban List: Palm Oil Free/ Quinoa? where is it sourced?

-Shop’s snack overload

-Shopping List tally system: 3 ticks= discussion of whether to order item

Shopping List sorted on a Monday at the meeting

Mural: potential idea to discuss with Ryan Smith graffiti artist who will attend meeting next week

ACTION POINTS:

  1. SNACKS: Too many snacks in shop: reduce to Nakd bars, CHoco and plain sesame snaps and gluten free 9 bars. Should encourage less packaged items/ more engagement at the food co-op with its members
  1. SHOPPING LIST

Decide what is ordered at Monday meetings. (Up to 5 items can be added after this to ensure there is more of a consensus with what is ordered). Will trial this next Monday.

  1. MONDAY MEETINGS

Will now take place at the food co-op.

Individual tasks:

Georgie: add ‘Mural Idea’ thread to Loomio so people can input there ides of what should go on it

Jenny: Contact Connor about potential ‘Pay as you feel’ cafe on campus for Junk Food project fundraising

Ban List: start list

Anna: (point from last week) research biodegradable containers for the shop

Asa: would you be able to contact Goosemoore about a potential trip there?

Bryher: start Loomio thread on RJFP fundraising ideas

Ann-Marie: Research into sourcing of Quinoa/ whether it should be banned

Marcel: Research where to source Xyllitol gum/ mints?

10 November Minutes

 

  • Action points from last week:
  • Annmarie: Honey from Headingly: 6.95 retail price, use membership money for this.
  • Asa: brought the North Star coffee!
  • Marcel: issues with the tea! Payment has to be through invoice, need to get the company to send one. No reply!

 TODAYS AGENDA:

  • Loomio
  • Containers
  • Food Café
  • Armly Real Junk Food Project
  • Rapeseed oil
  • Non-organic produce
  • Give it a go
  • Amnesty food

Loomio:

There’s already one for Grovsner Mount – ask if you want to be added (but its secret)

Make a Green Action loomio and a food hub subsection then present to big group

Food Café

  • Wednesday at 6: BRYHER AND ANNAS HOUSE. 17 Hessle View, Hyde Park
  • Social afterwards, Jazz gig at LS6
  • Maple Syrup and Agave Syrup need researching!
  • Everyone have a copy of their information that they can email so we can make a daterbase

 Containers

  • Need more!

 Real Junk Food Project

  • They need to raise money to survive!
  • Can we help them?!
  • Someone is trying to set up a Pay As You Feel on campus funded by Green Exchange: meet them and get them into the Grovsner Rd Project.

 Rapeseed Oil

  • Not being bought, so maybe we don’t want to buy more just yet

 Non- Organic Produce

  • Shall we do a food café on this?! YES

Give it a go

  • We need a bigger one!
  • Ideas: bike powered film: donations could go to the rjfp

Amnesty

  • 8-12 December, will bring up at the next GM

ACTION POINTS

  • AM: Contact Headingly honey man and ask if he will give us/sell us some honey at retail price
  • ASA: Call Lembas and ask by Agatha bester tea infusers are good
  • ASA: Find out who said they’d do the cleaning rota
  • M: Find out if there is any other way of paying the tea people other than invoices
  • AM: Make a Green Action loomio and a food hub subsection then present to big group
  • Maple Syrup and Agave Syrup need researching for food cafe
  • ANNA: Research possibility of biodegradable pots
  • Bryher: RJFP fundraising